After the year we’ve had, it would be safe to say that we could all use a little romance and a lot of comedy in our lives. With uncertainty about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the film industry in 2021, it’s hard to say if the films will be released theatrically or on the many video-on-demand platforms.
Regardless, according to Popped sugarthere are over a dozen rom-coms to look forward to in 2021.
An original romance from director, screenwriter and producer Wes Anderson (“The Grand Budapest Hotel” and “Moonrise Kingdom”) deserves to be excited; the final film in the “To All the Boys” trilogy, and (finally) an adaptation of “Cinderella” with a twist.
Yes, a thrilling musical overhaul of “Cinderella” has been made and is full of twists and unique cast. “Cinderella” will never be the same (and in a good way) with pop star Camila Cabello in the title role, alongside Nicholas Galitzine as her Prince Robert.
But that’s not all! Pittsburgh’s Billy Porter will star as Fab G – Cinderella’s fairy godfather. Porter won Best Actor in a Musical for his role as Lola in “Kinky Boots” at the 67th Tony Awards in 2013; the 2014 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album for “Kinky Boots” and the 2019 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series for “Pose.”
Another film with star power is “Marry Me” with Jennifer Lopez returning to her romantic comedy roots. While it’s not uncommon for Lopez to play a pop star; the actor playing the character she falls in love with in the film is – Owen Wilson. While this seems like an odd couple, what’s not unusual is that the film will feature new music from Lopez.
“Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar” was supposed to be released in 2020, but the dark comedy’s release was delayed until 2021. The film follows two best friends, played by Annie Mumolo and Kristen Wiig, leaving their hometown of Midwest for the first time. time, becoming embroiled in a murder plot. Jamie Dornan (“Fifty Shades” franchise) is also featured, so there must be some romance there too.
Other big names in the upcoming movies include Saoirse Ronan, Emily Blunt, Dwayne Johnson, Anne Hathaway, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Mindy Kaling, Ben Stiller, Richard Gere, Diane Keaton, Blake Lively, and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
Here is a list of 15 rom-coms slated for 2021 and release dates (if available):
- January 8: “Stars Fell on Alabama” – with James Maslow and Ciara Hanna.
- January 15: “The Ultimate Playlist of Noise” – with Keean Johnson and Madeline Brewer.
- February 5: “Cinderella” – with Camila Cabello, Billy Porter and Nicholas Galitzine.
- February 5: “The Right One” – with Cleopatra Coleman and Nick Thune.
- February 19: “Blithe Spirit” – with Leslie Mann and Dan Stevens.
- May 14: “Marry Me” – with Jennifer Lopez and Owen Wilson.
- July 16: “Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar” – with Annie Mumolo, Kristen Wiig and Jamie Dornan.
- July 30: “Jungle Cruise” – with Emily Blunt and Dwayne Johnson.
- TBD: “Falling For Figaro” – with Danielle Macdonald.
- TBA: “The French Dispatch” – With Timothée Chalamet and Saoirse Ronan.
- TBA: “The Kissing Booth 3” – with Joey King, Jacob Elordi and Joel Courtney.
- TBA: “Lockdown” – with Anne Hathaway, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Mindy Kaling and Ben Stiller.
- TBA: “The Making Of” – with: Richard Gere, Diane Keaton, Blake Lively and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- TBA: “The Princess Switch 3” – with Vanessa Hudgens.
- TBA: “To All the Boys: Always and Forever, Lara Jean” – with Lana Condor and Peter Kavinsky.